Yesterday during my quick trip to Whole Foods Market WPB, I made my way through the produce section and purple cauliflower captured my attention. Umm…Where has this been all my life? I love cauliflower and the fact that it’s purple makes me love it even more. The purple color is caused by the antioxidant anthocyanins, also found in wine. With so much excitement about this newfound cauliflower, I felt like I needed to get creative and go beyond the typical weeknight roasted cauliflower with garlic and EVOO. So I decided to recreate a cauliflower recipe I had in Washington DC a couple months ago. (Thanks to my dear cousin Ian and Iván for the inspiration.)
What you need:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 small red onion
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup of chopped parsley
- S & P
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash, trim and slice cauliflower florets then thinly coat them in olive oil.
- Peel and cut onion into thin slices, set aside.
- Spread cauliflower on a roasting pan and place in oven for about 15 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Add thinly sliced onion to cover the cauliflower.
- Continue cooking (approximately 15 minutes) until it turns to a rich brown color.
- Remove from oven and finish with parsley, sea salt and pepper, splash of lemon juice and (optional) parmesan cheese.
So yummy and it’s even great the next day.